My Blog List

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

..but do you know what you were meant to do? Do you feel passionate enough about anything to be psyched about it every morning when you wake up? I'm sure some would say just being a parent is a dream come true and that's cool. For them. But I mean, really? When you were a kid, did you really dream about being a parent and nothing else? Doubtful. What about when the kids grow up and leave the nest? You'll have to figure out who you are without them.

I've been feeling like that- do I have any passions? Who am I apart from a mom? I don't even know. How sad is that?!! I have plenty of interests and things I think I'd really enjoy, but nothing (that I know of) I'd fight for tooth and nail.

What about you? What's your passion? What one thing could you do/are you doing day in and day out that makes your heart sing?

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this myself... I did always want to be a mom, but outside of being a mom I don't know who I am anymore. It is sad. I know there were other things I wanted to do or try or be, but first and foremost I always wanted to be a mom. I just wish I had some sort of hobby or something... I love taking pictures and that is something that I want to get better at. Not just pictures of my kids, but anything and everything! It's not something that I would even have to do professionally. I'm not sure I would even want to do it professionally, but it would be something that I would feel passionate about and enjoy if I knew how to take better pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about this alot. Even more the past couple years as I have watched my mom have to walk through the process of becoming an "empty-nester" and seeing her realize that she had forgotten to keep an identity outside of who she was as wife and mother. I do have things in my heart, but they are not well defined at this point. I think that, for this season, that's ok. But I want to keep my aspirations and passions as a focus in my life so I don't loose sight of my personal dreams, even while I am predominitly focused on motherhood right now. Being a mom is not the end of, nor the completion of who I am. I don't want to feel like I don't know who I am when I get to the end of this part of the journey. I want that time to be when I truly spread my wings and am able to be used by God on a whole new level.

    God has something, probably LOTS of things for you Angela. Being a mother is an amazing vocation, but it is only one aspect of who you are and is only using a small part of the gifts your heavenly Father has planted in your heart. the fact that you wrote this post tells me you already know that! I'll be praying that he reveals his heart and opens your passions up to dream again!

    ReplyDelete