My Blog List

Monday, April 4, 2011

I came across this little gem while (interestingly enough) looking for a job. It is displayed quite prominently on the Dutch Brothers Coffee website (http://www.dutchbros.com/AboutUs/ -if you're interested). I'm thinking of printing it out & putting it all over my house. One can never have too much affirmation and encouragement throughout the day, right?!

                                          The Optimist Creed
             To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
               To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
                   To make all your friends feel there is something in them.
   To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
     To think only the best, to work only for the best and expect only the best.
  To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
  To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
   To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
  To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

Isn't that magnificent!! After reading it several times, I thought I'd go look up who authored it, etc., and found this:

                                 "Written by Christian D. Larson almost 100 years ago, the Optimist Creed was authored in 1912 by Chistian D. Larson, appearing in his book Your Forces and How to Use Them. It was adopted as Optimist International's creed in 1922. Many have found inspiration in The Optimist Creed. In hospitals, the creed has been used to help patients recover from illness. In locker rooms, coaches have used it to motivate their players."

I also found out that there are Optimist Clubs whose mission is to "bring out the best in kids". Reading through their site, they stress the need for people to live an optimistic lifestyle. This always brings me back to the "It's Not About Me" way of thinking. Being truly happy is merely a by-product of wanting only good for others..it's some sort of a "law" I guess you could say. Being a victim of life gets you nothing but pain and destruction.

That's my two cents anyway...(and I can't believe I've never seen this creed until now!!) Now I'm off to find that book "Your Forces and How To Use Them". I'm hoping it's not steeped in Buddhist beliefs like "The Secret" was- that was a big let-down. I ALWAYS stand on John 15:5 when I'm unsure- if anyone/thing tries to tell me otherwise, I immediately discard it. I'll update if I end up finding the book.

2 comments:

  1. That's really neat! I think it is so important for kids (and adults) to know that it is good to be optimistic (the Bible says "Give thanks in EVERYTHING!) and to know that life is not about them ALL THE TIME!!! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrific! Sorry I didn't have a chance to read it until now. I especially love the line about spending so much time on self improvement, theres no time to judge others. Ouch! Love it though.

    ReplyDelete