My Blog List

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

boundaries?

Ok. I've got a question: what are the boundaries for a mom? And what I mean is, are there things that just are NOT appropriate to wear, do, say, think, etc or does motherhood not change your lifestyle? What spurred this? The lovely, slender and talented Gwyneth Paltrow and a dress.
So..what do you think? Is that a beautiful dress? Yes, I think it is. Would I kill to have the body to fit into such a dress? Eh..kill is a strong word...perhaps maim (wink wink). But more importantly, is that appropriate for a nearly 40 year old mother of 2? I honestly don't know. I only know that I personally would feel like a complete idiot if I wore that anywhere- killer body or not.

Perhaps Holly-weird standards don't apply to us "normal" folk. Maybe it's the money thing; if I made multi-millions I might possibly have different rules of "appropriate-ness". But I doubt it.

Just knowing that I have 5 little sets of eyes, ears, and hearts soaking up every little thing I do, say, imply, associate with, etc. keeps me up at night. Why? Because I know me. I know how I talk sarcastically, how I blurt things out about other people before thinking about it, how I laugh at..umm..let's say, unsavory things, how I say how fat I am all the time, how I handle stress, ..the list continues but I'm too ashamed to put most of it out there. Yikes!
It seems like parenthood is a big joke or game to alot of people. I get it though- they wanna give their miniatures the childhood they wish they coulda' had or they just wanna be buds cuz discipline is too harsh and old-school or..i dunno..whatever the reason is, I mostly get it. But it's not a game and it's dead serious..no joke!! Of course, we don't take life too seriously, I say that all the time, but raising the next generation is a BIG DEAL!! I point all ten fingers at myself..never at anyone else because it's not my job to judge how you are raising yours. I only know that we gotta work together to put these kids on the right track because no one can do it alone and Lordy knows I need all the help I can get and the occasional pat on the back for not inspiring "Problem Child 3" or "Chucky's Cousins".

P.S.- Don't ask how I saw that pic of G.P. and went on this tangent. I really couldn't tell ya.
P.P.S.- Do tell me what you think..do things change or can you keep the mini-skirts, go partying, cuss like a sailor and do whatever's clever to you at the moment without damaging the kiddies?

7 comments:

  1. I think things do change. You and I both know that! I mean, if we didn't give a lick about our kids or their morals then, yeah, we could party hardy, wear our mini-skirts and show some major cleavage but it certainly would be damaging to our babes! Esp when we're telling them NOT to do those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know that and it's a choice I've made for myself not to be a skank-ity boozehound but I (honestly) know a few people that are great parents during the day and at night they "play"..all that that implies. I'm not sure how to form an opinion on that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh...a reliable babysitter, perhaps?
    To be honest, I wouldn't mind being able to go "out" and de-stress, if you will. But, I've never been a party-er. So, my "playing" would be to eat out w/o chillins or go watch a movie. THat kinda thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, so Tab's Mom has to chime in...!
    Appropriateness is appropriateness no matter where we live or what we do! You KNOW everything changes w/ kids whether we are in Hollywood or NOT! That's secret stuff she's showin off and it should be reserved for special eyes... not the eyes of our and everyone else's kids (grandkids), husbands, Dads, Grandads etc. Even if we had her bod to show off, it's not to be 'shown off" publicly! Know what I mean? There you have my opinion! But I DO understand the temptations. (You did ask!) Sorry for the long answer. Here’s a shorter one: Reserve the sexiness (clothed, barely clothed or unclothed) for husband in the
    bedroom (or wherever). And there is a season for everything. Kids are a big responsibility and I always say they are one of God's best tools in the work of conforming us to His image by way of propelling us to godliness and showing us how UNgodly we are!!... Make sense?

    And regardless of children or not...
    “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” 1 Cor. 6:19,20

    ReplyDelete
  5. No apology necessary, Laurie! :) It does indeed make sense and I agree whole heartedly. I'm pretty sure He equipped us with a conscience for these very reasons-not just the knowledge of right and wrong but for our own protection.
    I KNOW the truth, just not sure how to swallow it in one piece..hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think having kids move the line of what's moral and what's not. I think it's just that having kids helps us (err, forces us rather) to define what exactly that means to us. And I think what is apropriate is ultimately between you and God, and your husband. Don't mistake modesty for a way of dressing. It is a way of carrying yourself. You can put two women in the same outfit and get drastically different results depending on how they carry it off. I think ultimately, you will know in your heart what you feel is aproproate, in which circumstances. I could go on and on cuz it's a subject I've spent large amounts processing. But I should probably save all that for a post on my own blog... And obviously, the physical appearance is only a small part of the issue you're addressing. But my main point is, being a mom doesn't change anything but our awareness. If you are suddenly feeling like a behavior/outfit/cuss word/etc is inappropriate now that Jr. has arrived, it probably just means it wasn't the best choice before. ;) And don't stop looking beautiful or feminine or attractive because you're a Mom! You won't be doing anyone any favors, especially you! If You, God and your husband are willing to let you walk out of the house, you're good.

    ReplyDelete